Beginner Bowl Turning Workshop (Members Only)
September 25 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am
An event every month that begins at 9:00 am on day Fourth of the month, repeating until October 23, 2021
*This workshop is open to current Lowell Makes members who have completed the Beginner Spindle-Turning Workshop or have equivalent experience. A password is required for registration.
For the emerging lathe turner, this workshop builds on the beginner spindle-turning workshop and will qualify you for a Level 2 checkout (bowl turning). An 8”x8”x2” rectangular blank will be provided. An example of the finished piece will be available. A carbide tipped turning chisel will be provided.
*A $10 materials fee will be collected at the beginning of class.
Scope of workshop:
Create a bowl roughed to shape demonstrating familiarity with all machine parts and turning competency by finding center, turning to round, shape outside, shape bottom to accept chuck and rough out the inside, sweep to 1” wall.
General review of lathe turning:
• Review and discuss AAW shop safety rules and protocols
• Review and explain lathe parts and purpose
• Explain RPM speed selection
• Change belt
• Check lathe alignment
• If blank is not round, take to band saw and create circle
• Find center
• Secure blank using face plate
• Speed selection
• Shape outside to smooth
• •Shape bottom to accept chuck (expansion)
• Remove from face plate and attach chuck (expansion)
• Rough out the inside, sweep to 1” wall